Right now I am on Day 27 of my cycle. 1 day from the .. big event (aka moon time / menstruation / period). This time for me, and most of us, can be intense if we don't work with this phase.
As women we often feel exhausted, easily triggered, frustrated and sensitive in the week leading up to our period. Familiar? Yep, me too. I think it's fair to say most women see the week before we bleed as more of a burden than a blessing.
For sure - it can be challenging.
In the spirit of embracing ALL of ourselves, I thought I'd share how I am learning to love this time of the month, the last week of our cycle, the week leading up to the period. All of these tips and practices are easy to implement yourself if you want to, or change up to suit your own energetic and emotional needs.
- I will often set aside some time either now, or in the next few days, where I pamper myself. If you are feeling bloated, tired and grumpy, a face mask, a bath with Epsom salts and lavender + ylang ylang oils or a hair treatment can make a world of difference. Making time for self-care is key, even if it's just 15 minutes.
- It's the perfect time to clean, rearrange or tidy your spaces. We are more ruthless during this time, finding it easy to get rid of what we no longer need. Get your cull on! We need more order during this phase, it's almost a mini nesting period, creating a clean space for your upcoming rest.
- My body wants to take it slower during this phase, especially right at the end (where I am right now). I'll pull back from high energy exercise, instead opting for walks and yin yoga which feels perfect.
- Sleep. Even an extra half an hour is appreciated by this sleepy bod, and consequentially makes for less of the (sometimes illogical..) frustration during the day. Believe me, the people you live with will love this too ;) Less cray, more calm.
- Create! This phase is a potent creative time for women. I'm yet to really implement this, but many women say they love to create, for the sake of creating during this time. Think painting / scribbling poems or lyrics into your notebook / weaving together bunches of wildflowers / dancing. Whatever creative expression feels good for YOU.
Whatever phase you are in right now, there are ways to really, truly love it (honestly!), and to make the most of it.